in search of cheap broadband; phone, TV optional

Verizon's website says 19.99 for 1Mb/384kb, or $29.99 for 3Mb/768kb,
with 1yr agreement and no phone service.
http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/HighSpeedInternet/Plans/Plans.htm

Galaxy Internet Service will sell you DSL for $19.95/mo.

The RCN prices someone mentioned are promotional "1 year" prices. I'm
getting reamed by RCN for my double-play and they won't offer me their
promotional prices, so I will have to go to Verizon or someone like
Galaxy. Comcast's promotional prices seem to all require you take their
cable (in small print, or even no print), so I'm not interested in them.
I assume Galaxy just resells Verizon. They also supposedly offer fiber
optic which I assume is actually FIOS.

When I check Verizon DSL online availability it always tells me no or
switches to FIOS, even though I am within the distance to the central
office. I assume this is because my Verizon line is inactive, and that I
could order DSL from them if I insisted. Does Verizon offer DSL in FIOS
areas? If I order FIOS, could I get them to run it through the existing
underground electrical conduit? (I assume the answer is "no").