video cards

For the nvidia cards, the 9000s are a rebranding of the 8800 design with some memory and speed changes.  The new line is the gtx 200, note the gtx not gts/gt versions.  Major difference in the gtx260 and above is the humber of cores that are active, different manufactures will play with clock speeds and memory quite a bit on all of them. Also keep in mind there is an updated version of the gtx260 called the gtx260 216, which has another chips worth of cores active, but still has one less than the 270s and 280s.  There are 24 cores per chip, 8 chips in the 260, 9 in the 260-216 (hence the 216 code) and 10 in the rest.

I'm running a 260 original with stock clock, at the moment and its handled everything I've thrown at it.  And its also $100 less than when I bought mine 6 months ago.  I'd probably recomend the 260 line or a 9800gt depending on your budget.

------Original Message------
From: Matthew Gillen
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: BLU
Subject: video cards
Sent: Oct 20, 2009 1:51 PM

My nvidia card from 2 years ago is flaking out on me (flickering the display
for a while, then locking up my computer).  Once I removed the nvidia card
and relied on the onboard video, everything was stable, so it must be the
video card going bad.

So I'm wondering what the current state of video cards are for linux.  Is
ATI finally back in the game or not?  I'm looking for something that is
mid-range (it's replacing a Geforce 8600) to play games in windows (nwn2),
and also be a mythtv frontend (in linux, with full HD playback).

And, since I've already been burned by this when they did their last
naming-scheme change, what do the various numbers/card-names mean for ATI
and Nvidia?  Nvidia seems to be going back to 3-digit numbers, which bugs
me.  I figured out their 4-digit system the hard way: the most significant
digit was the generation marker, and the *third* digit indicated how
high-end the card was (an 6800 was higher performance than a 7300).  So how
do the 3-digit ones compare to, say, a 9800GT?

Thanks for any insight,
Matt