ISO to flash drive (bootable?)

On 11/07/2009 07:03 PM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been working on a problem for a couple of hours and haven't seem t=
> have made much progress.
>
> I have a netbook, an MSI Wind U100.  I want to install Mint Linux on it=
 (I
> already have Ubuntu and XP on my netbook).  Obviously, my netbook doesn=
't
> have a CD-Rom drive, so I would like to "burn" the Mint Linux ISO file =
to a
> flash drive I have.
>
> I have successfully used this same flash drive to boot Moblin, so I kno=
> both the netbook and the flash drive should be capable of booting.
>
> I've tried using the DD command on both my Mac and on my Ubuntu
> installation.  On my Mac I've done:
> diskutil umountDisk /dev/disk2
> sudo dd if=3D/Users/chrisoconnell/Downloads/LinuxMint-7.iso of=3D/dev/d=
isk2
> bs=3D1024
> diskutil eject /dev/disk2
>
> I've tried similar on my Ubuntu installation.  I've even tried bs=3D409=
6.

> Anyways, when I try to boot off from this flash drive I am redirected r=
ight
> to my grub boot loader on my hard drive.  (I've manually selected the b=
oot
> from flash by pressing F11 and selecting the boot device from the MSI b=
ios
> menu).
>
> I can see the drive in my Linux installation and the files appear to be=

> there.  Any thoughts on this?
>
>  =20
Did you try without specifying block size. I've seen a few complaints
about this and they suggest making a Mint Cd, then running Mint's USB
creator, but that is kind of a backwards thing to do. A possible hack is
to mount your ISO

mount -t iso9660 -r loop /Users/chrisoconnell/Downloads/LinuxMint-7.iso /=
tmp/mintlinux

Then run the USB creator from /tmp/mintlinux

In any case it may be worth a try.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846