Kernel Recompile Mint Linux

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 09:39:48PM -0500, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> I've recompiled a couple of Kernels before using Suse and the xmenuconfig.
>
> My primary goal is to speed up the boot time and shrink the memory
> footprint.
>
> Is there any reason that I wouldn't want to start removing un-needed modules
> from the kernel?  Would this pose a problem with future patches?

Modules that you don't load don't take a memory footprint and
don't slow your boot. You would probably be better off tuning
your initrd to your exact hardware requirements.

> Also, anyone have any good tutorials on how to perform a recompile using
> ubuntu/mint linux?

Both of those are Debian derivatives, so
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ will help. It also
talks about building an initrd.

Why are you doing this, by the way? Laptops and desktops
typically sleep or hibernate much more often than they reboot,
and servers do neither.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.