Go (language)

As for the argument over consice code.  Its really such a small issue, it is bearly relevant to good code.  Readability is much more important. As is the ability to compile efficiently.  If I can follow 8 lines, in one language, faster than 3 in another.  Does it at all matter if the second langue is 10% shorter over all?  I'm pretty sure drive space for code isn't that big of an issue anymore and I'm pretty sure the compiler doesn't really care.  Even with client side web languages the raw text is insignificant these days.

------Original Message------
From: Samuel Baldwin
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: Richard Pieri
Cc: BLU
Subject: Re: Go (language)
Sent: Nov 19, 2009 5:10 PM

2009/11/19 Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> My peeve with the comparison with Python is two-fold.  First, Python has an
> interactive interpreter.  You can sit down, fire it up, and start typing Python
> right there.  Second, Python is modular.  Any object in a Python program can be
> used by any other Python program that imports the first one.  Go can't do
> either.

They're actually working on a command line interpreter at the moment.

I don't understand what you mean about Go not being modular. I can
write a package in Go that can be used by anything else: identifiers
will be exported if:

	1. the first character of the identifier's name is a Unicode upper
case letter (Unicode class "Lu"); and
	2. the identifier is declared in the package block or denotes a field
or method of a type declared in that block.

Then I just run `import "mypackagename"' and I'm all set, the
identifiers will be accesible through `mypackagename.Identifier'. It's
also possible to control where they get imported to if I want to.

I don't really know how Python works, but Go's Interface types seem
extremely handy for writing robust code easily.

> My third is not so much a gripe as a Go fail.  That fail being Go's alleged
> conciseness.  Go's version of Hello World is something like 4 lines of code.
> Python's is 1 (2 if you include the #! interpreter line).

I think the idea is it's more concise even for large projects; for
simple projects something like perl may be more concise, but for
larger programs, Go is supposed to win out. See Mr. Marx's example.

--
Samuel Baldwin - logik.li