Netbooks

On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> What's new in the world of netbooks? If you've looked through the latest
> models, any stand-out offerings? Which model do you own and like, or
> have on your wishlist, and why?
>
> Didn't Intel release a dual-core version of the Atom CPU? Shouldn't
> there be a new crop of netbooks using it by now?

The 64-bit dual-core atom 330 and single-core 230 are designed for desktop-ish use, not netbook use. Its the 32-bit N2xx and z5xx line that are intended for netbook use.

> I see Nokia has a model with a built-in 3G modem, but it seems to be
> tied to AT&T service.
>
> I see Target has an Acer Aspire One on sale for $200 this week:
> http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=B0023B138W
>
> though the specs on that model look pretty much the same as netbooks of
> a year ago (which probably explains the price).

Been pretty underwhelmed by the lack of advances in netbook specs and whatnot myself. I ended up offloading my 8.9" aspire one, just didn't use it that much after the initial honeymoon, because its too damned cramped for any prolonged use, and well, my iphone is a better portable device than a netbook. I might be happier with a 12" netbook that has a higher resolution screen and a bigger keyboard vs. the 8.9", but meh. If I'm going to carry a laptop-ish thing, I might as well carry a real laptop. The battery life on my 17" MacBook Pro under Mac OS X slaughters the battery life on any Linux-running netbook too. And now my ThinkPad T61 is relegated to some of the tasks I previously used my netbook for around the house.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org