Will upgrading Ubuntu 9.04 --> 9.10 update Mythbackend?

David Kramer wrote:
> That means I have to upgrade all machines at once (the server, my
> laptop, and the new living room computer).

Lovely design, eh? :-)

> My question is this: if I upgrade my server from 9.04 to 9.10, will
> the installation of the new Mythtv-backend version automatically
> migrate the DB schema to the new version...

I've only experienced a couple MythTV version upgrades, but the schema
updates have been automatic and without problems. The recommendation, of
course, is to backup your database beforehand, if you don't do that
automatically already.

I can't find it now, but there used to be a page on the Mythbuntu site
where you could look up the repository information for a specific Ubuntu
version and MythTV version, which permitted some degree of forward or
backward porting, compared to the mainline Ubuntu repositories. If you
can find that, you might be able to configure all your boxes to use the
older version.

I have a mix of Ubuntu versions all using the nightly builds of
0.21-fixes. Though the URL I'm using:
http://weeklybuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/fixes-0.21/ubuntu

seems to be broken now. I guess the service has changed or been
discontinued. (I guess that makes sense, as I know one of my bugs filed
against Mythbuntu 0.21-fixes received a comment that the devs were no
longer working on 0.21.)

Looks like they now have a mechanism where you download a .deb file that
sets up the repositories:
http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds

but that will mean upgrading to at least 0.22 stable.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA