UID conundrum

jbk wrote:
> The UID that was assigned to backuppc in F10 has been usurped by
> another program in F12.
> I have yet to boot into the F12 install.
> So, is it possible to edit the UID's and not effect the ownership of key
> files if I have yet to boot into the system. When do UID's become
> effective?

My expectation is that packaged files either have a UID assigned in the
package (like tar or zip), or a symbolic name to UID mapping happens on
extraction, either implicitly (set to current user) or explicitly (via
installation script).

Either way, the UID (and the corresponding /etc/passwd entry for the
conflicting user on F12) should be set as the relevant packages got
installed, and when/if you login is irrelevant.

> I either have to not test my install and just change the UID on all
> the backup disks to match the new assigned UID, which takes an hour
> or more per disk, or I have to change the UID for the conflicting
> programs by editing the /etc/passwd file and group file entries.

In the latter case, I think you have to do more than just assign the
conflicting user a new UID. I think you also need to run a recursive
find over the file system and update any existing files to use the new UID.

That may be faster/less work than modifying your backup disks, but
you'll have to repeat it if you do a future (from scratch) OS install.

Perhaps the best option is to use a mount option when mounting the USB
disk to override the UID and force it to be something else. (uid= option
supported by some file systems. Probably ways to do the equivalent with
other file systems. This must be a common problem for USB disks.) If all
the files on the USB disk have the same UID, that should be an easy
workaround.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro