iPad

On 4/11/2010 1:54 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:19:29AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 22:57 -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
>>
>>> Apple is a user experience company.
>>>
>> And as such should be made illegal.
>>
> The iPad has certainly inspired a lot of diatribes.  The more I read, the
> more I think it's just sour grapes by people who desire one, but for some
> reason won't let themselves buy one.

I don't think so: it's more that techies such as I are nervous because
Apple is taking the Commodification of computer hardware and software to
its logical conclusion, by turning computers into appliances and
software into a rom chip that comes with the appliance.

This means that (if Apples succeeds) my hard-won expertise and long
training will soon be useless, and I'll have to learn how to sell
insurance or trade stocks or go back to the plumbing trade, or something
else I'm entirely unprepared for. I'm scared.

Others may have different interpretations, but the fact is that nobody
needs help to figure out how to go from landscape to portrait view on an
iPad, and the rest is just inevitable: welcome to the future.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
781-784-7287