Debian dual boot with Windows 7

The first thing you need to do is to resize the Windows 7 partition.
There is a Windows utility included with Windows that you can use.
Alternatively you can use the standard partitioners (gparted) included
in all Linux distros today.  The steps I use to set up dual boot are:
1. Resize the Windows partition to the desired size using either the
Windows resizer or stand along gparted.
2. reboot windows to make sure everything is kosher.
3. Install Linux. Most Linux distros recognize that Windows is
installed. But be careful because you can easily select the entire
drive. I personally prefer to use the expert partitioner and set up an=20
extended partition for all the remaining free space so Linux can install
in /dev/sda5, /dev/sda6, etc. I personally prefer a separate /home
partition as well as a separate /boot partition. So, in my scheme of
things, /boot would be /dev/sda5, swap would be /dev/sda6, / would be
/dev/sda7, and /home as /dev/sda8. But, any way you prefer is ok, except
that you want /boot to be within the first 1024 cylinders. Linux can be
anywhere.=20
4. After initial installation, reboot into Windows to make sure Windows
is still bootable.
5. Boot into Linux to complete the installation and update procedure.

If you want to virtualize Windows 7, there are a number of tools
available for VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/) and
Virtualbox
(http://blog.subaquatic.net/archives/virtualbox-p2v-success/). Actually
this Virtualbox example uses VMWare converter. one issue you need to be
aware of is whether your hardware supports virtualization. While most
(not all) CPU chips support virtualization not all systems have
virtualization support, and you would have to manually turn on
virtualization in the bios. If you do not have hardware virtualization
available, Virtualbox will only support a 32-bit guest os. Once you have
the VMWare mini disk file, you can convert it to Virtualbox or KVM. I
would recommend that you first perform the VMWare conversion in Windows
before you install Linux, but it really does not matter since you can
run the VMWare converter from Windows or from Linux.

On 05/03/2010 09:57 AM, James Kramer wrote:
> I should be receiving a new computer soon.  It will have a copy of
> Windows 7 installed on a single partition.  I have several questions:
> 1.  How difficult will it be for me to install a dual boot Debian
> system on the computer?  I am familiar with Debian.  I just don't know
> how difficult it is installing it with a new Windows 7 system given
> Microsoft's proven track record of making it difficult for installing
> dual boot systems.
> 2. I am planning to make a backup copy of the system using Clonezilla
> so that in the unlikely event that something happens while trying to
> install Debian, I can restore the original system.  Is Clonezilla the
> best choice for this?
> 3.  It is my understanding that Window 7 comes with a built in disk
> repartioner.  I was planning to use it to shrink the size of the
> partition prior to installing Debian.  Is it better to use Gparted to
> resize the Windows partition?
>
> 4.  Can I make an image of Windows 7 using Clonezilla and then
> reinstall the image in a virtual environment?
>
> 4.  If it is too much trouble to install Debian as a dual boot,is
> there something similar to Wubi for Debian that I can use?
>
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846