gnome/linux personal orgnizer

Stephen Adler wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Yesterday I had a bit of a meltdown at work due to being overwhelmed
> with deadlines. After the smoke has settled, I realized that my life has
> gotten so complicated, with meetings, tasks, deadlines, etc. that I have
> to start using some kind of software tool to keep my work life
> organized. It used to be that I could remember everything that needed to
> get done, but I've reached a new stage in my career where that's not
> possible.
>
> So... can you guys recommend a software pages to organized ones
> professional life, with meeting dates, reminders of tasks that need to
> get done etc? What are the popular applications for the gnome and/or kde
> desktops?

I'm a PDA geek going back a long time, as those who know me will attest
to.  The most important lesson I've learned is that no
PDA/Calendar/Contacts/ToDo tool can possibly be effective if you don't
have access to it where you need it most.  That means something that
runs just on your home computer will never work in the long run, and
something that runs just on your work computer MAY be acceptable if you
truly don't do anything for work once you leave (and that includes
reading emails).

Two things that work for me:
- Carry it in your phone.  I've had that option for a while, with more
success than failure.  I found the iPhone calendar/contacts wholly
insufficient, but I found other apps.  Same for Windows Mobile. But even
simple phones today have calendars with alarms.

- Put it on a network, so you can get to it from anywhere.  My family
coordinates our dates on a Wiki calendar (hosted in a PMWiki Wiki).  I
have my own server at home because I'm a bit of a privacy nut, but
there's always free third party options, like free wiki hosts or Google
  Calendar, which will sync with Mozilla Sunbird on Windows or Linux,
and has a mobile interface for your phone.