Domain registry ratings

On Thu, 13 May 2010, John Chambers wrote:

> Do you have any "ratings" comments to make about any of  the  various
> companies that handle domain-name registration?

I had a site registered via register.com. No major problems, but
they wanted $35 to renew it for another year. I decided to
transfer it elsewhere.

As I started the transfer process with them online, they offered
to cut the price to about $20. After requesting an auth code,
needed to effectuate the transfer, I received a response that:
"Your request has been processed and at this time it has been
declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account." The
note asked me to call a customer rep. When I called, she could
find to record of any such suspicious activity, but attempted to
learn why I wanted to transfer the domain. Subsequently, I
received an email with the auth code along with an offer to renew
at register.com for $15.99.

   - S