VI annoyance

I use the following settings, regardless of putty, xterm, vnc, terminal, or
whatever.  These were carefully selected to eliminate problems like ...
Characters not appearing on the terminal when I was ssh'd in from a mac.
And weird characters appearing instead of actual highlighting when I'm
reading a man page.  And stuff like that.

In solaris, I use:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

export LC_ALL=C

export SUPPORTED=en_US:en

export TERM=xterm

In RHEL4/Centos4, I use:

export LANG=en_US

export SUPPORTED=en_US:en

export TERM=xterm

This is such an easy test, I would recommend trying it before dismissing it.
;-)