Mono, gcj, java, c++, what?

OK, how about a little thought experiment, say you want to write a
server based back-end system these days. The conventional wisdom was
that you would use java/J2EE ala tomcat or jboss. With Oracle making
legal actions against google for dalvik, there is speculation that java
may not be free for very much longer, or at least the "free" version may
become stagnant.

Without debating the point, suppose it is true and the Java runtime
becomes effectively non-free. Sure the GPL version will exist, but would
a community build around it or would it disband like the open solaris
group did?

What about gcj? Anyone really use it? Is it any good? I've tended not to
use it, opting for the standard sun or open jdk.

How about Mono? To be honest, I like the c# language better than Java,
(almost identical, but some nice additions) but because of its Microsoft
underpinnings, I have been reluctant to use it.

Stick with Java?

Write in C++ using a web service library?

The most probable answer is stick with Java as Mono is still Microsoft,
C++ is still a rare in that space, and gcj (to me at least) not well
accepted. Thoughts?