Ubuntu moving away from X

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Mark Woodward <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Is anyone disappointed by Shuttleworth's decision to move Ubuntu off of X?

If you, like me, have no idea what Mark is talking about, check this out:
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

> X is one of those things that I think is make unix "UNIX." The idea that
> I can run any application on any machine and display its output on any
> other machine is more than cool, it is a functionality that I use and
> has "saved the day" on a number of occasions.

Wayland is not "moving away from X".

>From two years ago: "One of the goals is to get an X server running on
Wayland, first in a full screen window (like Xnest), then rootless, since X
just isn't going aways anytime soon." (
http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2008/11/premature-publicity-is-better-than-no.html
)

>From yesterday:  "We?re confident we?ll be able to retain the ability to run
X applications in a compatibility mode, so this is not a transition that
needs to reset the world of desktop free software." (
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551)

My guess is that there'll be some really cool things coming out of Ubuntu,
and the fact that they're not just throwing out X means that they're
interested in actually advancing the state of the art in open-source
graphical display environments...which is cool. And about which we should
all be excited.

Gordon