More "Fun" from Oracle

Two more monetizing changes to formerly Sun properties.

First is MySQL's pricing.  Sun's Enterprise (support) pricing was $600 to $5000 per server per year depending on support level.  Oracle's new pricing starts at $2000 per server up to 4 sockets (any number of cores) per year, and runs up to $5000 or $10000 per server per year depending on support level.  No price for more than 5 sockets has been disclosed.  There are also changes for "Classic" (embedded) MySQL and InnoDB that I'm not conversant with but it looks like Oracle is pushing the profit margins there, too.

http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/11/MySQL-Classic-InnoDB

Second is Oracle's own Java forking.  Oracle will continue to support the free OpenJDK-based Java but will also offer a "premium" Java.  No news yet as to how a premium Java differs from the freebie version, nor any word on pricing.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/06/oracle_dueling_jvms/

This hot on the heels of Oracle acquiring ATG to get its hands on the server stack.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/184062

--Rich P.