GIT vs. CVS vs. SVN

Besides the process differences, there are a staggering number of commands
and command options with git.  I love git, but be forewarned that there is a
learning curve just to get up to speed on the number of commands you're
likely to actually want to use regularly.

As pointed out, since each "local" workstation is it's own repository, each
developer has to be more conversant in version control than is the case with
simple checkout->edit->commit workflows.  This means everybody needs to
learn these commands.  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/

I recommend gitosis if you need to setup a centralized server where people
have controlled access to multiple repositories.   And also gitweb (which is
distributed with git is what you see at http://git.kernel.org/) for being
able to easily "see" people's work.

As an aside, you can also setup "etckeeper" to use git as a backend.  With
etckeeper it takes about 5 minutes to have a system that automatically keeps
track of /etc

tip:  you'll sometimes see reference in documentation to "git porcelain" and
"git plumbing"... that's just a way of classifying git commands into 'high
level' and 'low level' -- Greg who should have read the man page a long time
ago.

Greg Rundlett