Challenge: dump | restore

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> Of Jerry Natowitz
>
> Is the source directory quiescent?  I've seen restore crash when the
> dump was taken of a rapidly changing filesystem.  I'd expect some sort
> of diagnostics in that case, but you never know.

The source filesystem is not mounted.  And it passed e2fsck -f.  So it's the
ideal source situation.

We needed to repeat this operation on many machines, which is why I was
concerned about answering this question despite the fact that we got a
workaround for the machine in question.  It was no big deal to dump a 100M
filesystem to file and then restore.  But if it had been a 200G filesystem,
it would have been a big deal.

But all the machines are complete now.  This error happened repeatably on a
single machine.  Exactly same procedure was followed for all machines, and
all the others did not have a problem.  So I'm baffled, but I have no reason
to care anymore...  except for academia.