Android question-> free calls

On Sun, November 14, 2010 11:13 am, James Kramer wrote:
> Two questions about Android:
>
> I have an android phone with a good data plan but rather costly call
> minutes.  What is the best way to make free calls using the data
> network?  I have a google voice account.  Is there an apt that will
> ring my phone when I receive data based calls?

There is apparently a google voice app you can install that will let you
answer google-voice calls on your android phone, and call out via google
voice as well, so you don't use your minutes.  I've neither installed it
nor seen it, so I cannot attest to its usefulness or quality.

>  I also do not understand how android controls processes.  It does not
> seem like there is a way to kill an apt.  I have read that there are
> apts available to kill processes but that it is unnecessary because
> android has a way to load balance processes so that it is really not
> necessary to kill the process.  Is this true?

There are task killers, but I've found that in general you don't need
them.  You can kill any task you want through the main Applications
Setting page, if you go to the correct sub-page.  But generally the system
will take care of itself.

> Thanks for the advice.
> Jay

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek-CrUh67yIh4IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org             www.ihtfp.com