PCI device ordering

On 11/29/2010 06:02 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:23:49PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Dan Ritter<dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org>  writes:
>>
>>> Don't do that.
>>>
>>> Mount by label or by UUID instead.
>>>
>>> That way, it doesn't matter what order they're detected in, and
>>> you can even swap around cables. (Boot drive detection
>>> permitting, of course.)
>> Hmm, but how would this affect MD raid devices?  For example,
>> /proc/mdstat reports raid devices based on sdX.  Although I guess
>> /etc/mdadm.conf does set up devices based on UUID.  So perhaps it's safe
>> from device re-ordering as well?
> Yes. mdadm.conf can use UUID as well, and that's the preferred
> method for all but the simplest (RAID1, 2 disks) systems.
>
> -dsr-

As an epilogue to this problem of mine, I booted off the rhel6
installation DVD into rescue mode and issued the command mdadm
--assemble --scan and the md system found the two raid devices which
were not picked up at boot time. But one of them, the more critical one,
was assembled with one of the drives missing... ugg...

Steve