named

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
>> Of Stephen Adler
>>
>> I've been having trouble with verizon's domain name servers, so I
>> decided to fire up a caching domain name server. In doing so, I realized
>>

> I have had problems with other ISP's returning incorrect results
> intentionally.  Such as opendns does.  So I fully appreciate wanting to get
> a good DNS server.  (Just google for opendns google, and you'll see what I
> mean.)
>
> But you're doing it the hard way.  The easy way is:  Google operates public
> DNS servers, specifically for people like us, who have to suffer with a
> crappy ISP.  Use 8.8.8.8 or 4.4.4.4  So far, I've never had any trouble with
> these... either in terms of reliability or returning unexpected results.

As crazy as it may sound, I don't like to use any google services. These
guys are quickly
becoming the old microsoft in that they are soooo pervasive in
everything. If I use their
dns servers, then they will be keeping track of all my web surfing and
probably use that
information to sell to advertisers. My current named setup seems to be
working quite well
and I'm going to leave it setup talking directly to the root servers and
bypassing Verizon
completely.

This thread on named has been very informative and helpful. Thanks!

Steve.