Upgrade a CVS server to something else?

On 12/13/2010 10:03 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
>> Of Tom Metro
>>
>> Someone else has addressed this. SVN provides some raw functionality by
>> which developers can implement tagging by convention. The big down side
>> to SVN tags is that the VCS doesn't prohibit you from turning a tag into
>> a branch - or in other words, making modifications to a tagged revision.
>> Doing so would generally be considered bad practice, however I've never
>> seen a developer violate the conventions in the 10 years I've been using
>> SVN.
>
> More correctly, "doesn't automatically make the tagged directory read-only."
>

> I know, in organizations that I support on svn, we have a release process.
> All the engineers sync up, somebody runs regressions, and if all the tests
> pass, then we tag that release.  I make the tagged directory read-only.
>
> Later, if we ever need to respin, then we fork a branch from the tag.  Thus
> leaving the tag read-only, and continuing to modify the branch.  Which will
> later produce another tag.

With subversion and it's repository-wide revision numbers, you also have the
option of creating 'tags' by just noting a particular revision number on
your team wiki, perhaps with the full checkout command:
 - Demo'd version Dec 12, 2010
  svn co foo.bar://svn/proj/trunk at 21023

You can do most anything you want to do with just that revision number (e.g.
create a branch from that revision).  The advantage is that you don't have
to rely on convention to get the read-only status ;-)

Matt