backups

On 12/14/2010 03:24 PM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Trying to gather some info as I am working on rearchitecting our backup=
=20
> solution.
>
> Would be great to hear:
>
> What backup solution do you use?
>
> How much data are you backing up?
>
> Are you sending the data off site?  How?  Disk, tape?
Since we bought a WD MyBook (2TB usable RAID1) I have about 900GB backed
up on the MyBook. I am currently backing up 3 hourlys (twice a day), 7
dailys, and 4 weeklys. We backup to our New York office daily, and they
backup to tape. We use rsnapshot as the backup program. The reason I use
rsnapshot is that it handles incrementals well because it uses the rsync
--link-dest parameter that hard links files that have not changed so
that each backup appears to be a full backup, so when you want to
restore you don't have to search different incrementals. So, in our
case, we can go back about a month. While New York does not use
rsnapshot, they do use rsync with the -u parameter, so they only copy
what has changed. Another good thing about rsnapshot is that it is
almost always included on a Linux distro.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846