Speaking of on-line/cloud storage... Wuala

Richard Pieri wrote:
> Wuala...creates a Cryptree file system and mounts...  Changes to the
> FUSE/CBFS are encrypted and chunked, and these chunks are sent first
> to the Wuala storage servers in Europe and second to the Wuala cloud.

Do you know any more details about how they chunk the data and implement
change detection?

Most current cloud storage solutions either do remote encryption or they
encrypt locally, but handle differential transfers less efficiently than
rsync.

There's a version of rsync hacked to handle local encryption, but it
doesn't seem to have gotten much use.

I'd really like to see a standard emerge, so we can have multiple open
source clients, and competing storage providers (or use redundant
storage providers with one client).

I see the Wuala terms:
http://www.wuala.com/en/about/terms

include:
  In case of loss of his password, the user may set up a new password
  using the secret question and secret answer the user has specified in
  his/her account details as well as a recovery code that LaCie shall
  send to the users email address upon request. Should the user forget
  both, password and secret question/answer, the data will be
  irrevocably lost.

"recovery code?" "secret question/answer?" This makes it sound like
there is more than one way to generate the key. The actual registration
form has a "password hint" field, which presumably applies to the
password you entered. Which would suggest that while they can email you
the hint, you still have to ultimately remember the original password.
Which is as it should be. So I assume the terms are inaccurately worded.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA