[Discuss] What do typical Linux users do WRT protecting their systems from malware

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 19:28 -0400, MBR wrote:
> My question is, what do typical Linux users do WRT protecting their
> systems from malware?

A few of my public-facing Linux systems have been compromised over the
years, usually through old versions of server software. However, none of
my SELinux-protected systems have been compromised to date.

SELinux uses system policy and the security context of various resources
(processes, sockets, files) to determine if a particular kernel action
should be permitted. Thus, if an attacker can subvert (say) Apache to do
something that it should not do, and that action does not fit with that
Apache should be doing (according to system policy), then the action
will be denied (e.g., denied access to a file will result in the kernel
telling the application that the file does not exist). SELinux is not
widely used to user applications, but it can be (e.g., sandbox).

Of course, there's a whole arsenal of other security tools available:
snort, tripwire, rkhunter, ...

-Chris