[Discuss] Strange rm behavior - solved

Actually, using a local variable, such as RM=/bin/rm is a preferred way
to do things. You are guaranteed that you are calling the Linux command
rather than through an alias or subverted command (such as $HOME/bin/rm).

I think the issue my colleague reported was that a previous subtask was
still running. (We start a security service, and it spawns itself as a
daemon).  I think his initial problem was that he had previously started
the service (that spawns a webserver, and a few other tasks), and that
my script did not stop all of them. And in trying to debug, my command
became:
$RM rf $PROJECT
Somehow the hyphen was removed. It had to be removed today because to
try to debug I had $RM -vrf $PROJECT, so I stepped on my own toe on this.

On 09/21/2011 01:27 PM, Jerry Natowitz wrote:
> I'd be looking at the login shell initialization that is not executed
in the script.

> A quick and dirty is to stick "set", "alias", and "env" commands in the
script and compare the outputs to those from your login shell.

Feldman <gaf at blu.org>)