[Discuss] LVM Re: A really interesting chain of functionality

On 09/26/2011 07:17 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> So, this all serves to rather emphasize my point, which is to say...
> (LVM) Create snapshot, mount it, monitor it with nagios or whatever,
> lvextend it, lvextend the filesystem, resize2fs, unmount and release
> snapshot...
> versus
> (ZFS, Netapp, Volume Shadow Services, etc.)  Do nothing, and don't worry
> about it.  It's all automatic and dynamic and just works.

I don't think this is right. Running nagios on a snapshot would do
nothing. A snapshot is protected from change. Typically, what you would
do is this:

Create a volume, monitor it, create a snapshot to get a "point in time"
image of the volume, backup the snapshot, and then remove the snapshot.

Pretty much the same model as the other things.