[Discuss] [OT] [Mac related] Wiping an old Mac

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
>
> One of the ladies in the office has an old Mac G3 Macbook that she wants
> to donate. But I always prefer that people wipe their drives first. For
> PC stuff, I use the Ultimate Boot CD. I was just wondering if there are
> any OpenSource or freeware standalone wipe CDs et. al.

The OSX installation disc.  At the first screen, when most people would
click "Next," you can instead go to the File menu, Disk Utility, and Erase
Disk.  (With option for secure erase.)

'Course, ability to do that is dependent on the ability to find the
installation disk.

Another option:  during power on, hold the "T" key.  The mac will enter
"target disk mode," so you connect a firewire cable to any other computer,
the mac has become a dumb external disk enclosure.  So you're able to use
any other computer with a firewire port to erase your mac.