[Discuss] GMail doesn't recognize mailing lists

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want this list to reply to list by default, feel free to argue
> your case here but be warned that this topic is almost always a sticky
> morass of flames, dogma and other unpleasantness.

Any such argument will be pointless. This list has been in operation
for 17 years now, and the argument was settled long ago.

Basically, most list members expressed no preference. The tiny minority
that did express a preference was split roughly 50-50, and both sides
generally seemed to feel that their way was the One True Way and that
only a drooling moron could possibly disagree with their side.

There are solid arguments for both sides, so it cannot be resolved
on technical grounds. And voting on the question would not resolve
anything, it would either change nothing, or merely swap which half of
the tiny minority was unhappy.

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Arbitrarily changing the list behavior
any time someone wanted a new vote would be disruptive to the
silent majority that don't care which way it's set but who expect the
list to behave consistently.

So if you want to argue your case on the Reply-To matter, you should
know that at best, your argument will be ignored by the list admins.
We consider the matter to be closed.

OLD GnuPG KeyID: D5C7B5D9 / Email: abreauj at gmail.com
OLD GnuPG FP: 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99
2011 GnuPG KeyID: 32A492D8 / Email: abreauj at gmail.com
2011 GnuPG FP: