[Discuss] Linux box for under $20? TRENDnet

On 11/11/2011 04:06 PM, edwardp at linuxmail.org wrote:

> I bought a new Netgear router earlier this year, couldn't get the time
> zone out of -08:00 (Pacific), even after going through five "levels"
> of "technical support" at Netgear.  It was returned for a Cisco.
>

> Jim Gasek wrote:
>> I love the $15 refurb netgear wireless routers.
>> Automatically download latest firmware.
>> Automatically enforce security/encryption.
>>
>> There were at least 3 choices under $20.

I have never had a netgear router, but I have had many other Netgear
products including 3 24 port GS24TS switches and a ReadyNAS 3100 and
have had zero trouble. The ReadyNAS was somewhat complicated because I
wanted to use it primarily as an NFS server, but also as a CIFS server.
In the Boston office we use different user names/passwords than our
Windows systems.  The complexity is that I had to maintain a separate
/etc/passwd for ReadyNAS because I needed to use the Windows user names
with the Linux UIDs, we have 3 different name/password combinations but
the tradeoff is that (1) we don't have to expire passwords, (2) I can
use gaf :-), and (3) we are not tied to the corporate network, so if
Internet is down or if Toronto is down, we are still 100% operational.
At one time I was thinking of wring a password coordination system
(probably in Python) because people don't change their Linux passwords
often, it is not necessary. But even a password coordination system
would work easily since you (1) create a map of different user names
(about 3 or 4), Locate the appropriate line in /etc/shadow on the
master, and simply locate the appropriate name on ReadyNAS, and plug the
line into /etc/shadow.

I've also had Netgear NIC cards. I screwed one up, called Netgear and
easily RMA'd it.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix