[Discuss] Backing up LVM partitions using snapshots

On 12/12/2011 11:06 AM, Mark Woodward wrote:
> In your example, a duplicate reducing backup would ignore most of the changes.
>

> Edward Ned Harvey <blu at nedharvey.com> wrote:

I have always preferred a file-oriented backup approach, but I have also
been burned. I used to build tarballs until my backup of my home
directory placed a VM in the tarball on a 32-bit Linux, and the drive
where my home drive was crashed. I was able to restore everything up to
the VM that was larger than 3GB. Eventually, I paid to extract the data
from the hard drive because the I lost my email archives and checkbook.

With today's larger HDs and/or inexpensive NAS systems, like the WD
MyBook, you can use rsync's --link-dest so you can have the equivalent
of both a full backup and an incremental backup. At work, I use
rsnapshot to back up our systems and keep about 20 days online, but New
York backs us up daily and performs a tape backup so in the case of a
disaster that would knock out our systems, we would lose minimal data.
The upside of this scheme is that the most frequent need for a backup is
that someone accidentally deletes a file.

At home, I do a similar thing except I don't do a remote backup (I know
very well I should :-).

The disadvantage of a file-oriented backup is if you have to do a full
system restore, but this is rather rare. At home, if I were to lose my
primary HDs I would essentially have to spend time to rebuild the entire
system.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix