[Discuss] Full disk encryption and backups

Richard Pieri wrote:
> And this is the great big rub with WDE: backups.  File-level backups
> are decrypted when sent to the backup system unless the backup system
> itself re-encrypts everything.

I'm not sure I see the big problem with backups, unless you simply find
file-level backups undesirable in general.

If you are performing backups while on your LAN, sending the data in the
clear should be of minor concern. The backup system can then encrypt.

If you are off-site, then use one of the backup systems that encrypt
locally before sending the data over the wire. Systems like this are
becoming increasingly common.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro