[Discuss] Network IP Conflicts and Dropped Samba Connections Oh My!

On 03/19/2012 10:23 AM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So I have these two problems.
>
> 1.  On the company shared drive (samba) once in a while people report
> microshaft word files getting locked and then they can't use them
> until they delete the lock files, but it's only one person using the
> file. The samba server has been running almost a year with zero
> problems until this recent complaint from a couple of users.
>
> 2.  Staff is occasionally getting IP conficts.  I've checked to make
> sure my servers have the proper static IPs and that the Comcast SMC
> Networks router doesn't use these addresses in it's dns range.  We
> have a couple of wireless routers and I'm verifying now they are not
> the cause.
>
> Here's my current guess as to what's happening.
>
> 1.  One of the cicso switches burned out a fan which I replaced.  I
> think the old bugger is reaching it's end of life.  Maybe this is
> intermittently screwing up samba connections?
>
> 2.  The IP conflicts are because the smc router has the hiccups and we
> need to purchase a real business router / vpn.
>
> I'm also googling for a good network monitor application that can run
> on Ubuntu and could maybe help me figure out which (if any) switch is
> in poor health.
I've seen a few cases where lock files are not cleared if the network
(eg connection) goes away.  I've seen it here where I have left word or
PPT up on my work PC overnight, and the connection to the office servers
was dropped overnight.
Most routers, even the cheap ones, tend to reissue the same IP address
to the same MAC, but I have seen a different IP issued. In terms of
wireless, I have 2 wireless routers in my office, but neither of them
are DHCP servers, and I rely on our office SonicWall for that. Also
noting both my smartphone and netbook behavior, sometimes they will
connect to the other wireless in the office in preference to the one on
my desk.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix