[Discuss] [OT] Security Cameras

Bill Horne wrote:
> I'm looking for information about security cameras that can be viewed
> over an IP connection. If you can share knowledge in this area, please
> call me.

So you're posting this in an online discussion forum, but you actually
want people to pickup the phone and call you? (Is this because you don't
want to give hints about your security camera requirements in a public
forum?)

IP security cameras are pretty close to being on-topic, seeing as most
run Linux, and this is a topic of interest to at least a minority of
Discuss subscribers, so I think there is benefit to keeping the
discussion on-list.

What are you looking for in an IP camera? What price range? How many do
you plan to deploy?

Here are some sites I've found useful when researching security camera
products:

http://www.cctvforum.com/

(Linux software for monitoring cameras, but the wiki and forum often
contain useful info on hardware, of particular interest if you want a
camera that plays nice with open source tools.)
http://www.zoneminder.com/

(Less useful than the name implies. Often a camera you are interested in
wont have any reviews here, and they are just brief user-written
reviews. No better than what you'd find at NewEgg or Amazon.)
http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electronic-alarms-home-security-devices-87/

(Occasionally something useful amid the spam and flames. Haven't looked
at it in a while.)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.security.alarms/topics?hl=en

 -Tom

--