[Discuss] Help with destination of syslog messages?

Scott Ehrlich writes:

> I am tailing /var/log/messages and only see host-only traffic, but
> another terminal window running tcpdump (or tcpdump -X port 514) DOES
> show incoming traffic from the clients.   My question is where the
> heck is that data going?   There are NO error messages on whichever
> Linux box I designate as the server (if I were to switch between 5.6
> and 6.2).

Can you show us the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/syslog file?

Can you show us your /etc/syslog.conf file?

Can you tell us which syslog facility/priority the incoming messages
are arriving with?

Thanks very much,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
   -- Tom Waits