[Discuss] LVM vs File system file for KVM Virtual Machines?

Mark,

Think about it this way:  when using a file on the file system the VM has
a whole extra layer of indirection that it has to go through, because it
has to go through the FS layer in the VM, then the block layer in the VM,
then the VM system storage layer, and then the FS layer in the host, then
block layer in the host..   Whereas if it's just an LVM container then you
can bypass the FS layer in the host completely.  So I would always expect
the direct LVM container to be faster and more resource efficient.

-derek