[Discuss] grsecurity

On 5/1/2012 9:53 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> I got what you meant, but that's a UI or config layer problem. What I'm
> saying is that gsecurity could have used the SELinux (or AppArmor, or
> whatever) Linux Security Module[1] to implement their rules, and wrap it
> with their own UI or config system to make it turn key and less error prone.

No, they couldn't.  SELinux is a mandatory access control (MAC)
mechanism.  grsecurity implements a rule-based access control (RBAC)
mechanism.  They're actually very different things despite having so
much functional overlap.

In the MAC model, resources are given security labels.  Users and
processes that require access are given corresponding security
clearances.  Adding a new user to the system entails giving that user
all of the relevant clearances.  Adding a new resource to the access
control system entails assigning it an appropriate security label and
then giving all the relevant users the correct clearance.  MAC is
granular but it requires expanding administrative overhead as more
security labels and clearances are implemented.

In the RBAC model, access to resources is encapsulated in roles.  Users
and processes that require access are given those roles.  Adding a new
resource to the access control system entails adding it to the
appropriate roles.  Users who have those roles automatically inherit the
relevant access.  Encapsulating access control in roles simplifies
management compared to MAC at the cost of granularity.

That's just scratching the surface.  RBAC can be very flexible in how
rules are nested and linked.  MAC has extremely fine-grained access
controls.  Neither is inherently better than the other; they're different.

> Hopefully someone will point out that there was a technical
> justification for not reusing an existing LSM.

LSM is a Linux API for mandatory access control.  It does not provide
hooks for rule-based access control.  Implementing RBAC in Linux cannot
be done through LSM.

--
Rich P.