[Discuss] Versioning File Systems

On 5/5/2012 3:13 PM, MBR wrote:
> That's becoming clear. I'm trying to understand the difference. It seems
> like versioning is having the operating system do for all files what
> emacs does for text files.

Yes.

> And with regard to OS's that do versioning in the filesystem, when does
> it decide I've made a new version? Would my habit of frequently using an

The most common case is when the kernel receives an open for write call.
  It's when the OS sees the open/write, not what the application thinks
of as "open".  Every C-x C-s in Emacs is a new open/write and will
increment the version count.

Programs that create log files and write to databases need to do things
a little differently on VMS than they do on UNIX.

--
Rich P.