[Discuss] Looking for work

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Feldman
>
> Don't volunteer anything and don't be negative.

Agreed with everything Jerry just said, except "don't volunteer anything."

In IT or SW dev, I find everybody has a different alphabet soup on their
resume.  You can always find people who have a lot of overlap with the
position you're trying to fill, but it's never an exact match.  When hiring,
you must always seek good people who don't quite fit, and you must take it
on faith that they will adapt to the position.  AKA, there's always a
learning curve.  So, when I interview candidates, I feel the best interviews
are usually the ones where the candidates show energy and enthusiasm,
passion for the technology and love what they do.  They can't talk
passionnately about *my* job, I love to hear them talk about stuff they've
been working on, and how they overcame some problems, etc etc.  I will
certainly ask things like "How do you solve A, B, or C problems..."  "If you
need to solve ____ how would you go about approaching that problem..."
etc.

But I say:  Definitely be chatty.

If you're an interviewee, and your interviewer does most of the talking, you
don't have a hope of impressing the interviewer.