[Discuss] Rob Conery's critique of MySQL?

On 07/30/2012 05:28 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Sure, and there's a lot to be said for using tools with which you are
> comfortable. Like everything, it's a tool. The key is using the right
> tool for the job. Just because you need an RDBMS does NOT imply that
> PG is *the* right tool. It is *a* right tool. There are other choices,
> and those other choices *are* valid. It all depends on the
> requirements. Without knowing the requirements all other discussion is
> purely rhetorical or religious, neither of which belong on a technical
> list.

As a start, off the top of my head, I can describe one MySQL problem
that absolutely eliminates it from consideration for a production database.

Suppose you have the "street map" database of the USA or some other very
very large table, millions of rows. In production, your query
performance is poor. You do some analysis and work out an index that
betters your query performance substantially. You want to deploy that
new index WITHOUT bringing down the site. Well, with MySQL, "create
index" and "drop index" LOCK the tables as they are operating. LOCK THE
TABLES. Think about that. In PostgreSQL, Oracle, and any "real"
database, "create index" and "drop index" only impact performance in as
much as any other transaction. When they are done, presto! your query is
faster. Neat, huh?

That is just one problem that I consider a show stopper. You should
watch the first 15 minutes of the video that started this message chain.
In fact, I would wager, if you watched the whole thing, you'd never
consider MySQL again.