[Discuss] free up space on a RedHat RHEL 5 system

Some tips for freeing up space:
1. Remove older unused kernels and related source files and header files.
2. Remove unused or unnecessary packages.
3. Clean up /tmp (if it's mounted under /) a reboot should do the trick.

If /boot is mounted under / and you've upgraded kernels over the years then
you should be able to free up a few hundred megabytes by removing unused
older kernels (at least this is what happens on my Debian based boxes). As
a fail-safe I always keep at least 2 kernels in /boot, the latest and the
previous known working kernel.

Also /usr/src may have kernel sources and/or header files for older kernels
that you no longer need and you should be able to remove those also. Just
make sure to use the package manager to remove any older kernels and kernel
sources or header files.

To find packages on  Red Hat system and sort them size the following should
work:
rpm -qa --queryformat="%{NAME} %{SIZE}\n" | sort -k 2 -n

The hard is trying to figure which packages to remove. If this is server
and you normally use the command line then remove any X based and just ssh
in, if it's a desktop then removing games can often free up a lot of space.

As Scott said, what does "dh -h" show?