[Discuss] Getting OS/HW details?

It is the rare install indeed that won't be well-described by the
command line calls you have identified... on the remote chance you
don't have an /etc/issue you should be able to grep dmesg for some
keyword like "version" ... and if lspci doesn't tell you the exact
motherboard you have, you can probably get enough info to Google
with... but I'd be surprised if you have to go off-board for 1 out of
100 arbitrary installs.

Still, it would be nice if there was a 1 stop shop, maybe a web page,
where you could type in a kernel name and it would tell you the
distro is most likely associated with. Take, for instance,

root at J1:~# uname -a
Linux J1 3.0.0-9-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 23 17:02:50 UTC 2011
i686    athlon i386 GNU/Linux

since it is Ubuntu and I have a date, I should be able to divine the
distro... but 3.0.0-9-generic is unique to 11.10... and noone ever
dowrevs a kernel, do they?

(seriously, do they? I've never seen it)