[Discuss] [OT] iOS from a power user's perspective

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:17:07 -0500
Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:

> What relevance is that? What are the practical differences that are a
> result of the bolt-on alternatives?

Tablets are devices of convenience. Bolt-on accessories are the
opposite of convenience. Bolt-ons add weight and bulk. They're in the
way when they are not needed and they're not where they need to be when
they are needed.

> Also, Samsung has their line of Note phones and tablets which use a
> stylus, and supposedly higher resolution digitizer. I bet it has hand
> writing recognition.

It does, sort of. It's not integrated with the system so it ends up
being inconsistent across applications. That's... bad design.

Regarding gestural input: it's not just a matter of putting in enough
cameras. It has to be one-handed and it has to work in the limited
space between handset and eyes. These are not insurmountable problems.
My belief is that the handset OEMs aren't going to spend money and time
trying to overcome them.

--
Rich P.