[Discuss] OSS licenses (was Home NAS redux)

On 01/10/2013 10:52 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:24:46 -0500
> Mark Woodward <markw at mohawksoft.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no conflation, the two are very much related. Please explain
>> how "rights" are different than "freedoms" in a way that describing
>> freedoms as rights is improper. A freedom is typically a right.
> A right is an idea defined by law or common consensus. Freedom is the
> state of being without restriction or duress. Right and freedom are
> related but they are not synonymous.
>
> Getting to vote is a right. Getting to vote for the person you want to
> vote for is freedom.
>
> Religious worship is a right. Your choice of which religion to practice
> is freedom.
>
> Publishing a work of art, including software, is a right. Choosing
> which license to publish that work under is freedom.

Thanks Richard. The license I choose generally, gives me the right to
copyright my work, and convey certain privileges, responsibilities,
andrequirement to others who may want to copy my codeand use it in their
product, whether commercial or otherwise. A company must use some
judgment before incorporating Open Source licensed code into their product.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix