[Discuss] core competency

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:38:50PM -0500, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> That assumes that your company needs enough of that role to justify a
> full time person. A common reason for outsourcing is that a company
> only needs a small amount of a skill, not enough to justify bringing
> in a person for it.

But in my experience, some companies outsource work, or in some cases
simply under-hire, because they (or their bean counters) fall into the
trap of THINKING that they don't really need a whole person, when in
fact they may well really need two...  They generally get by, but may
require significantly more humans to do so, or incur some other
expense due to some sort of deficiency or inefficiency, than they
would have if they'd just invested the money to get one (or two)
decent full-time tech people of their own.  As others have suggested,
outsourced help are often less invested in your problems than regular
employees, leading to getting less bang for your buck, of which there
were already less to begin with...

It does very much depend on the business though, and how employing
technology can save money elsewhere in their specific case.
Beancounters often are bad at this, because they do not understand how
technology can be leveraged to solve the problems of their business.

-=-=-=-=-