[Discuss] Unable to disable Wake On Lan

Upon upgrading Debian Linux (64-bit) Squeeze (6) to Wheezy (7), the
on-board NIC (Realtek) will not shut down when the system is brought
down.  I discovered this when the port light on the router remained on.
However, in Windows 7, the NIC shuts down properly.

In Squeeze, for the NIC to shut down properly, I added 'post-up ethtool -s
eth0 wol d' to /etc/network/interfaces under the primary network interface
information:

#The primary network interface
auto eth 0
iface lo inet loopback
post-up ethtool -s eth0 wol d

This information was retained after the upgrade, however Wheezy seems to
be ignoring this now.  The only way at present to get the NIC to shut down
after a Linux session, is to open a terminal window and manually entering
the ethtool command above.  Then it sticks.  Upon a reboot, ethtool eth0
shows Wake on Lan back to the 'g' setting.

I have also added post-down with the same ethtool command as above in
/etc/network/interfaces and also added the ethtool command to
/etc/rc.local before the 'exit 0' line.  Neither of these two worked.

Are there any other things worth trying?

Thanks.