[Discuss] Low Cost Internet?

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, Michael Webb wrote:
> Did you look at this http://www.freedompop.com/

Yes, actually I use that and find it excellent for having
Internet access while mobile using a Nexus tablet... I would
indeed recommend it for those similarly situated who have
another home Internet service, want to use it for a limited
amount of additional mobile service.

They quite aggressively try to upsell and I'd be cautious about
recommending it to someone who didn't clearly have the capacity
to evaluate the multiple options they offer and make sensible
decisions. For example, I wouldn't casually suggest it to
families with youngsters that might rack up unexpected bills. At
one point I was told they were going to bill me a small amount
for insufficient usage the prior month; I didn't recall seeing
that provision in their fine print.

I see that they have these current offerings:

$14.99    3Mbps speed
10GB data usage
7 cents per each additional 10 MB

$9.99 / month
1.5 Mbps speed
5 GB data usage
7 cents per each additional 10 MB

$0 / month
no particular speed advertised
1 GB data usage
1 cent per each additional MB

Seems like when I signed up for their $0/month plan (had to buy
the hotspot device for about $100), it was only 500MB rather than
1GB. In any event, they do seem worth keeping in mind when
recommending inexpensive service.

    - Stephen