[Discuss] our friend the nsa

Dan Ritter wrote:
> No, that proves that the source compiles legitimately. I want to
> know if anyone has run diffs against the binaries that Apple
> provides and the binaries generated from the Apple source to
> determine whether Apple is actually using that source as-is.

I'm sure someone has but that someone is not me. I do know that it is
possible to install PureDarwin or OpenDarwin (Pure's predecessor)
underneath the corresponding OS X installation. Everything continues
working normally which suggests that if the code Apple uses isn't the
same as what they publish then the changes have no visible impact on
running OS X.

Doing this on more recent versions may be difficult as Apple signs code
these days. The kernel isn't signed but some other components are.

--
Rich P.