[Discuss] linux on usb stick

Thanks guys for replying to my linux on a usb mem stick post.

So, after going through a grulling round of multiple linux installs on a
usb disk, I've something to report. If you guys are interested....

So, forget about the whole live CD stuff. I got thrown off course and
with the suggestion from Tom, I just installed linux directly onto a usb
mem stick using VMWare as my virtual system.

After building my linux usb mem stick, I was partially able to boot it
directly on my sony vaio pro laptop. The problem there was that the usb
memory stick disk IO is buggy and while booting, kept throwing disk IO
exceptions eventually corrupting the contents on the memory stick. :/

So I then used VMware on my laptop to boot off the linux usb memory
stick configuring the VMware guest to use the memory stick as a raw disk
device. And after some screwing around I got it to work!

So now I have a usb memory stick which I can boot (using VMware) on
either my desktop linux system or my laptop running windows 7.

Now here's an interesting test point. When I run linux on the usb memory
stick through VMware on my desktop, the response is phenomianl. No
delay. It's snippy. The big test is surf to the daily show and fire up
one of Jon Stewarts show, in full screen. Runs like a charm.

When I boot from the usb sick on my laptop, the performance sucks. The
test of course is to surf to the dialy show and check out an episode.
The video hangs and every 2 or three seconds stops for half a second
then continues for another 5 seconds then stops for .5 seconds and repeats.

I have a beefy laptop, with the latest icore 7, 8 gigs of the fastest
memory etc. But for some reason the windows 7 usb IO is on the laptop
compared to my linux usb io on my desktop is a world of difference. (Hip
Hip Hurray linux?) :)

As for laptops go tho, I'm quite disappointed with the sony vaio pro.
The tab key on my keyboard has popped off and the laptop is only a few
months old. Also, booting from the usb memory stick directly fails due
to usb disk io errors which I chalk up to buggy BIOS firmware. The USB
memory device seems to work fine when I use it within windows 7. So, I
would suggest looking elsewhere for a high end laptop.

Thanks again for the discussions BLU

Cheers. Steve.