[Discuss] Why use Linux?

> The GPL has always denied some freedoms to developers, such as the
> right to exclusively make money from their work.

Ahh, there in lies the lies that lairs lie about the GPL. The GPL does not
deny any developer the right to make money from their work. Lies! It only
denies a developer from using someone else's work as if it were their own.
If I were to modify someone else's code, I should think I no right to
modify it without permission.

NOTHING forbids a developer making money from their own work. The GPL is
only involved when a developer uses someone else's work as the basis for
their own or as part of an aggregate product. The developer should not
base their work on GPL code if they do not like the conditions by which
they acquire it in the first place.

I HATE this lie every time I see someone repeat it. Not liking someone
else's license means you don't use their code. It does not forbid a
developer from making money from their own work.